Now accepting submissions for Issue 3.1!
We have indeed have begun our reading period for our Winter 2018 Issue, which will be unthemed. However, we have altered our reading period dates going forward and have posted the new dates on our submission page. From now on, we will read for each issue on the following schedule:
Winter: October 1- November 1
Spring: January 1- February 1
Summer: May 1- June 1
Fall: July 1-September 1
(We’ll allow a bit longer for the horror-themed issue, because on average it takes a little longer to find the perfect submissions)
Thank you, all!
The Kaaterskill Basin Literary Journal Short Fiction Contest Has Returned for Issue 2.3!
Issue 2.3 Guidelines
Our summer issue is now open to submissions by women and nonbinary writers only, and we especially encourage queer and trans women to share their work.
If you are not a woman or gender nonbinary writer, we would be happy to read your work during another submission period, but please do not send it to us right now.
Short Fiction Contest Guidelines
It’s time for our annual short fiction contest!
This year’s theme is wild.
There is no end to how this theme can be interpreted. The journal was named for a waterfall that is as gorgeous as it is treacherous, in a place that is rich with myth, and filled with tangled forest and long, steep drops. But there are infinite types of wilds, internal and external, remote and familiar, obvious, and deceptive. So please, introduce us to your wildest words and worlds.
What you need to know:
- The contest will open on April 20th at 12.01am and will close on 12.01am May 30th.
- We will consider flash fiction pieces up to 1,000 words and short stories between 1,001 and 6,000 words.
- We will accept multiple submissions, but each must be submitted separately.
- No simultaneous submissions for the contest.
- The winner will receive payment of $50 and will be published in the Summer 2017 issue of Kaaterskill Basin Literary Journal. In addition, the two runners up will also be published in an upcoming issue.
- There will be no entry fee, but if you would like to contribute to the contest prize, you may add a $2 tip. Any money contributed will go only toward the prize money.
Please include a cover letter with your contact information and a brief bio.
Have fun and write your heart out!